Thursday 18 February 2016

Vegan Golden Milk


Everyone in my house is sick but me. Even the baby. I'm dong my best to eat well, get enough rest (ha!) and look after myself so I can look after the little ones (the saying is true; you can't pour from an empty cup). It's still winter though, so you're very unlikely to find me munching on cold, raw salads all day. I still want cozy. Enter Golden Milk - warm, spicy, turmeric-mulled milk. I'm no expert in Ayurveda, but I understand that turmeric is fabulously healthful, and Golden Milk is just one of the traditional ways to enjoy it. It's comforting and rich and delicious; you really can do a lot worse as far as wellness tonics go - on a cold day, I'd quite happily drink this instead of a hot chocolate or coffee. As usual, I'm not comfortable making outrageous health claims, but supposedly it's an anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, overall-health-supporting wonder root. And it tastes completely different when fresh - tangier than I'd expected, almost citrusy. Recipe!


1 cup of unsweetened oat milk
1 tablespoon brown rice syrup (optional)
1/2 to 1 teaspoon coconut oil
1 star anise (don't think this is traditional, I just like it)
About half a stick of cinnamon, broken up.
A small piece of fresh turmeric (I used the smaller piece pictured - about a thumbnail? Or half a pinky?), grated on a microplane. Don't bother peeling it!

Gently warm in a saucepan, strain and enjoy! The turmeric will stain everything, FYI, but it's really worth getting the fresh root if you can find it. If there's some reason you can't have yellow fingers for a day or two, you should wear plastic gloves or even just use a sandwich bag when you grate it. 

Now, don't get sick!

No comments:

Post a Comment