Friday 3 April 2015

Scenes From Our Table

It will not surprise you to hear that I like a good tablescape, and I like food photography. Rather than just randomly sprinkle food photos in other blog posts, I think this will be a regular thing - just a little collection of quiet (and not-so-quiet) moments from our table. The dinner table is family life is microcosm, isn't it? Effort, love, mess, chores, laughter and obviously unending laundry. 


A friend very kindly babysat for us last night and we went out for Thai food. I made a chocolate cake so we had something nice in the house. You know that song, 'if I'd-a known you were comin', I'd-a baked a cake, baked a cake, baked a cake'? I don't know why, but I always sing it when we have people coming, and it compels me to bake cakes...
 

It's totally normal to plan dinner around plates you find at thrift stores, right?
 
 
Nutritional yeast-based cheesy fondue, veggies, sticky tempeh bites. Joking aside, I love these kitschy plates. And don't kids love having compartments?
 

Breakfast for the babe most mornings: Porridge with grated apple (or pear), Udo's oil, chia seeds. Banana.
 

In case you were wondering, this is how I deal with pretty linens and messy babies. I just roll it up and away if we are eating something stainy.


Seaweed sourdough. Ranunculus.
 

Painting is our new favourite. So nice to have more options for rainy days!
 

Grilled Violife cheese and red onion sandwich. Old stained tablecloth.
 
 
Sunday night pizza.


A new runner. A still life?
 

And a shutter speed experiment for my class. So frustrating!

Happy Good Friday folks, enjoy the long weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I love your experiment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It took AGES. Hats off to photographers who did that sort of thing with film - were they millionaires??

      Delete