Friday 13 March 2015

South East London, We Love You

 
Today we made our weekly hike to Lewisham market (it's not far, but it's a pretty steep hill!) to get plantains and strawberries and flowers, and I was thinking about how much I like where we live.




 
Lewisham is not a trendy address, and South East London doesn't have the transport links that other areas in zone 2 and 3 have, making it, in my opinion, a well-kept secret. The outdoor market has great prices, friendly people, and a few special things you can't find at the supermarket. Note the okra and scotch bonnet peppers? And HUGE bowls of limes, for a pound. A nice Caribbean lady informed me today that the plantains would make F. strong. She also wished me a happy Mother's Day. Lewisham also has a few big chains that it's nice to have within walking distance, like Superdrug (the BEST for cruelty-free toiletries. All their own-brand products are Leaping Bunny approved, including kids toothpaste with fluoride, nail polish remover - you name it. Also, they label things suitable for vegans, which I think is wonderful.), and my favourite health food shop, Sheel Pharmacy. When the Bakerloo line comes through, watch out - we're going to be the new Brixton.


The other neighbourhood in walking distance to us is fancy-pants Blackheath, which we love too! This was taken today in Hand Made Food - I love that strip of wallpaper. We've got a new craft beer shop, a fancy bakery, some lovely old pubs and a wonderful farmer's market. South London, guys. I'm telling you.

As an aside, it was nice to get out of the house a lot today - not just because of the warmer weather (yay!), but because I'm avoiding housework. Remember those rugs I dragged into the kitchen? Yeah, the dog had the runs all over them. No mom ever will be surprised, because of course he did. Of course. They are waiting reproachfully in a pile by the back door, to be dealt with. Boooooo.


No comments:

Post a Comment